John Oxley History
Golden rivet party
Updated book release: "John Oxley Restoration Underway"
John Oxley Restoration Appeal
John Oxley was built in 1927 by Bow McLachlan of Paisley in Scotland. She was built to the order of the Queensland Harbours and Rivers Board and steamed out under her own power for service as pilot vessel in Moreton Bay and as a buoy tender and lighthouse tender along the Queensland coast
John Oxley was built in riveted steel with teak decks. She is a typical coastal steamship with raised forecastle, well deck, machinery and navigation midships and accommodation aft. She has two boilers and a triple expansion steam engine.
She was originally coal fired but was converted to burn oil in 1946.
John Oxley was taken over by the RAN during WW II for use as an examination vessel. Her requisition terminated in 1943, however she continued to be manned and operated by the RAN until 1946 when she returned to full Queensland Harbours and Marine control and operation.
John Oxley continued in service until 1968 and was officially donated to Sydney Heritage Fleet in 1970.
Sydney Heritage Fleet Acquisition/History
The Queensland Government put John Oxley up for disposal and she was donated to the fledgling Lady Hopetoun and Port Jackson Marine Steam Museum. A museum crew went to Brisbane to prepare John Oxley for the delivery voyage and steamed her down the coast to her new home in Sydney arriving on August 17, 1970.
The museum operated her number of times, however concerns regarding the state of hull plating caused her to be laid her up. Restoration has continued funds permitting from time to time. She has been docked twice by the museum to secure the hull, however James Craig had been the main museum initiative during 1970 to 1997.
In January of 1997 James Craig was refloated and John Oxley docked in her place. See docking.
Built 1927 to Lloyds 100A1
Bow McLachlan & Co. Ltd.
Thistle Works, Paisley, Scotland
Ship SS No. 464
Launched Wednesday, 20th July, 1927 Length 168 feet (51 m) Beam 32 feet (9.8 m) Depth 15 feet (4.6m) Tonnage 540 gross tons Displacement 760 tons Speed 14 knots Propeller 4 Bladed, 10'6" (3,2 m) diameter by 12' pitch,
cast iron hub.
Manganese bronze bolt on blades.
Well-deck steamship with forward hold, a riveted steel hull and a superstructure to boat deck. Captains cabin and wheelhouse in teak, crew accommodation and mess in forecastle, officers accommodation and mess midships on the main deck, pilots accommodation aft below deck. Teak decks throughout. Two 24 (6 m) clinker whalers for pilot transfer in davits plus additional 14' (4.3 m) dinghy also in davits. Clarke Chapman steam windlass and anchoring through hawseholes, Clarke Chapman steam cargo winch and mast/derrick cargo handling gear added.
- Two coal fired wetback scotch marine single ended boilers each with three furnaces., dimensions 12'9" internal diameter, by 11'3" long and weighing around 30 ton each. Working pressure 180 psi.
- James Howden forced draft and Brundrits boiler circulators.
- Triple expansion steam engine 17.5"+29"+48"x33"‑ 1400 IHP (Indicated Horse Power).
- Michell thrust bearing by Michell Bearing LTD, transfering propeller thrust to the hull.
- Dawson & Downie air pump, general service pump and bilge ballast pump.
- Weirs main feed pumps and float tank, Matthew Paul circulator.
- John Kirkaldy feed heater and filter.
- Bow McLachlan steering engine in bridge with rod and chain to quadrant.
- Sisson steam engine driving a Crompton 8KW 110 volt DC..
- Reader steam engine driving L. Sterne refrigeration set, Caird and Rayner evaporator (now removed).
- Sees ash ejector by Trewent & Proctor (removed when oil fired). Converted from coal to oil firing by Sergeants in Brisbane in 1947.
- Sanitary. pump by Dawson & Downie was also fitted but has been replaced by a number of pumps over the years.
Master, Mate, Leading Hand, Chief Engineer, Second Engineer, Third Engineer longer voyages), three firemen and four deckhands, cook and a steward. Accommodation for up to 14 Pilots.
Technical Significance - Superstructure
John Oxley has never been modified and retains her original layout and configuration. Many similar ships have been extensively altered and re-engined.
John Oxley is especially valuable as she is a very conventional and typical ship of her time (straight stem, counter stem, raised forecastle, well deck, raised boat deck, machinery amidships, tall funnel and with accommodation aft). She has six watertight compartments and a tunnel space.
Well deck, cargo winch and derrick are significant being a typical rig for cargo handling during the earlier part of this century. The same can be said regarding her boats and their handling. Teak decks were also laid on most ships from this period.
John Oxley is riveted in steel using the conventional in-out plating system. The ends of each plate are lapped and have no butt straps. Her frames are the more modern and lighter joggled system (no packers at out strakes). She is a single bottomed vessel with no tank tops.
Fit out for crew and for officers/pilots are of typical quality for the period. The cabins, washrooms, mess and pantries for officers and pilots in particular, have varnished rosewood panelling and furniture. This timber was shipped to Scotland by the Queensland Government especially for John Oxley.
Technical Significance - Propulsion
The layout of two boilers athwartships with a triple expansion steam engine is very typical of marine engineering from this period. This machinery layout was used for most of the many thousands of small steamships that no longer exist.
Originally coal fired, John Oxley retains her coal burning furnace fronts with a commercial conversion for oil fuel built and installed by a local company, Sergeants of Brisbane, in 1946. As such she represents two technologies. As an oil burner she is significant in that she combined Howdens forced draft with a locally manufactured oil fuel conversion.
Note that John Oxley burnt Heavy FFO, once a very common marine fuel but now rarely supplied.
John Oxley has a comprehensive set of steam-powered auxiliaries. These include the usual condenser (fabricated), independent air, feed, circulating and bilge pumps, feed heater/filter, FD fan, air beater, a 110 v. dynamo, ammonia refrigeration set, steam steering engine and a sanitary pump. Her layout is very typical of marine engineering of the period.
John Oxley has a propulsion system that would adequately power a considerably larger vessel.
Restoration of the John Oxley commenced in 1982 and continues today by Fleet volunteers . In this respect the Fleet is fortunate in having, in its Records Centre, many of the original 1927 drawings produced by Bow, MacLachlan & Co. Ltd. in 1927
John Oxley reconstruction
Last modified on Friday, 01-Mar-2013 14:35:36 EST