Last of the double-ended
Sydney inner harbour ferries
Two principal Sydney Harbour passenger transport requirements emerged early in the twentieth century. One was for a ferry to operate inner-harbour runs such as Circular Quay to Mosman. The other was for a ferry capable of crossing the open water between the Heads on the Circular Quay to Manly run. The vessels designed for inner-harbour use became known as the Sydney Ferries, a term still in use today.
On 18th December 1911, a new service to Cremorne was inaugurated by Sydney Ferries Ltd. To serve this route five double-ended ferries were built: Kirrule, Kiandra, Kubu, Kirawa and Kanangra.
Kanangra was built by Morts Dock and Engineering Company Ltd. and was launched at Woolwich Dock on 14th August 1912. Originally a coal-fired steamer she is constructed of riveted steel with wooden decks and superstructure and could carry over 1000 passengers on her two decks. Her original steam engine was removed in 1959 and replaced with a diesel engine.
In later years, Kanangra operated weekday peak-hour services to Cockatoo Island and Mosman and on Sundays and public holidays would provide a harbour cruise to Middle Harbour. Kanangra remained in service until 1985.
Kanangra was presented to the Sydney Heritage Fleet by the New South Wales Government. Ferries are a vital part of Sydney's waterscape and very much part of our heritage. Kanangra is an important part of the Fleet's collection and is currently undergoing restoration.
|Overall length||155ft (47.2m)|
|Powered by||Crossley diesel engine|
|Acquired by the Fleet||1987|
Kanangra awaiting restoration
Last modified on Friday, 01-Mar-2013 14:34:50 EST