Tom Mort Ropework and Rigging Courses
These practical, hands on, courses run for six weeks, on Tuesday evenings from 6.00 pm to 8.00 pm.
Courses for 2013
Decorative ropework for ships and boats - 2/4/13 to 7/5/13
Advanced Rigging and Ropework - 16/7/13 to 20/8/14
Basic Rigging and Ropework - 15/10/13 to 12/11/13
NOTE; The course topics may be rotated according to demand.
To teach and keep alive rope work skills and engender an interest in and love of the art of knotting etc.
- Skippers and crew on racing yachts.
- Skippers and crew on cruising yachts.
- People wanting to learn the rope work content of pre-sea courses.
- Members of emergency services who want to enhance their rope skills.
- Tradesmen, farmers etc who use ropes in their daily work.
- Anyone who has an interest in the age-old skills of working with rope.
- Ornamental rope work
- Practical decorative rope work
- Bells ropes, mats, fenders etc.
- More applied knots, bends, hitches and splicing.
- Seizing, lashing and repairs
- Working with chain and rope
- Traditional rigging techniques, rigging protection etc.
- Construction of traditional and modern rope
- Knots, bends and hitches.
- Whipping and splicing.
- Splicing three stranded rope.
- Splicing double braided and single braid rope.
- Repair of sails and awnings
- Palm and needle sewing of canvas.
- How to make nets.
- Other fibre and rope techniques.
Attendees at any of the courses do not require prior knowledge.
In the Peter Doyle Learning Centre in the main building of the Australian National Maritime Museum or aboard the James Craig.
Tuesday evenings 6pm to 8pm
Free parking is available in the bus parking area next to the museum.
Public bus (443) from the city terminates at the museum car park.
Ferry, tram and monorail stations are within easy walking distance.
More transport details here (look for ANMM)
Comprehensive Manual, special tools (with exception of sewing palm), equipment and materials are provided and included in the price.
Cost (incl. GST);
$ 175.00 for Sydney Heritage Fleet, ANMM Members and Students.
Because the courses are hands on, numbers are controlled to ensure all receive comprehensive tuition. Maximum number is 20.
Bookings and details/enquiries contact the Sydney Heritage Fleet on 9298 3888 or 9871 7919.
Group instruction can also be provided in all courses.
Please contact the above numbers for information, details and to express your interest.
The above course will be available in 2014.
Last modified on Friday, 01-Mar-2013 14:34:55 EST