Parramatta and Lane Cove River Ferries

The Bill Allen Collection comprises a comprehensive collection of photographs of Sydney’s Ferries from the 1800’s to the present.

Parramatta and Lane Cove River Ferries

17 ferries operated on the Parramatta and Lane Cove Rivers between 1885 and 1920.

They included Pelican, Swan, Nautilus, Eagle, Aleathea, Halcyon, Gannet, Cygnet, Lotus, Pheasant, Bronzewing, Birkenhead, Daphne, Lobella, Shamrock (later Wattle) and Pearl.

A sample of photos from the collection is shown below.


Anyone interested in investigating the images is invited to contact the SHF Maritime Records and Research Centre, either by phoning 02 9298 3888 or emailing

For costs and availability of obtaining any of these photos without watermark, as an electronic file, as a print from the original negative (where available) or as some other format, contact the Maritime Records and Research Centre’s Curator on 02 9298 3850¬† or, quoting the full file name and giving details of format wanted.

Copyright for the majority of these images from the collection is vested in the Sydney Heritage Fleet. For the remaining images every attempt has been made to ensure correct attribution. If any originator of an image notes an error the Sydney Heritage Fleet would welcome any notification and will remove that image or modify its attribution.

Click on any image to enlarge