KOONDOOLOO

Sydney Ferries Ltd in the early 1920’s ordered three car ferries and the KOONDOOLOO was built by Hawthorns and Co Ltd at Leith in Scotland. She travelled to Australia under her own steam.

She had a varied career and after the Sydney Harbour Bridge was opened she was converted into the Showboat in 1937. In 1942 the Army converted her into a repair ship. She was towed to New Guinea in 1942 and saw service there until 1946. She was returned to Sydney Ferries who converted her back into her Showboat role. In 1951 she was converted to her original role as a car ferry and used this way from 1951 until 1971 at Newcastle.

Koondooloo-September 1971

She was sold to Phillipine interests in 1972 and during the tow, foundered at Trial Bay on the NSW north coast where she remains.

The documents below relate to her original voyage to Australia from Leith and show the documentation issued to her master for the voyage, Captain J. Chermside, at each port.