Ephemera WANGANELLA

 

MS Wanganella was an Australian-registered merchant vessel constructed by the Harland and Wolff shipyards and entering service as a trans-Tasman passenger liner in 1933. Originally named Achimota, the liner was acquired by Huddart Parker after the original sale to Elder Dempster Lines fell through.

WANGANELLA. July 20, 1951

WANGANELLA. July 20, 1951

Renamed Wanganella, the ship sailed between New Zealand and Australia until 1941, when she was converted into a hospital ship. As Australian Hospital Ship (AHS) Wanganella, the ship operated in support of Australian forces until 1946, when she was returned to her civilian operator. During the 1950s and 1960s, Wanganella was affected by several incidents of industrial action by wharf labourers.

The increase in travel by air made operating the ship less viable, but before the ship was due to be scrapped in 1963, she was acquired and moored in Doubtful Sound, New Zealand, and used as a hostel for construction workers building theManapouri Power Station until 1970. In April 1970, a tug towed Wanganella to Hong Kong, then later Taiwan, where she was scrapped.

 

Shown below are four pages of a brochure displaying proposed voyages and fares of the vessel from December 1949 to August 1950.