SYDNEY HERITAGE FLEET

A Timeline

3 December, 1965 The Lady Hopetoun and Port Jackson Marine Steam Museum formally incorporated to preserve the veteran steam yacht Lady Hopetoun. Museum was initially located in Blackwattle Bay.
16 January, 1966 Steam yacht Lady Hopetoun purchased from the NSW Maritime Services Board for $600 and formally handed over by the President of the MSB, Mr W H Brotherton to the Museum President Captain Stovin-Bradford at Goat Island.
March, 1968 Steam tug Waratah acquired from the NSW Public Works Department at Newcastle.
24 October, 1969 Topsail Ketch Avanti purchased by the Museum for $3,000.
November, 1969 First members’ news bulletin published.
29 April, 1970 Waratah and Lady Hopetoun take part in Captain Cook Bicentenary celebrations on Sydney Harbour before the Queen.
10 June, 1970 The Queensland State Cabinet decide to donate the steam pilot vessel John Oxley to the Museum.
13 August, 1970 John Oxley officially handed over to the Museum by Mr Chalk, the Deputy Premier of Queensland.
16 August, 1970 John Oxley arrived in Sydney after a successful voyage from Brisbane crewed by SMM members.
April, 1971 First issue of “National Maritime Museum News” published incorporating the Museum’s new logo.
July, 1971 Museum vessel Avanti broken up after a chequered career. She was sabotaged in 1969 in Berry’s Bay on the night before she was to be auctioned, after which she was purchased and raised by the Museum.
March, 1972 Old sailing ship James Craig, (ex Clan MacLeod) lying in Recherche Bay, Tasmania surveyed to establish whether she could be salvaged and restored.
27 November, 1972 John Oxley entered Sutherland Dock, Cockatoo Island for major hull restoration work.
27 May, 1973 James Craig refloated in Recherche Bay.
28 May, 1973 James Craig towed to Hobart by former Sydney tug Sirius Cove.
30 May, 1973 At an Extraordinary General Meeting of members the Museum’s name was changed to The Sydney Cove Waterfront Museum Limited.
October, 1973 The Bushell’s Trust donated $10,000 for repairs to Lady Hopetoun‘s boiler.
November, 1973 John Oxley represented the Museum at the opening of the Sydney Opera House.
1 April, 1974 The first full time Director of the Museum appointed – Captain John Lovell (ex RAN).
May, 1974 The Museum invited to present a series of maritime displays in Cadman’s Cottage.John Oxley out of service due to boiler problems.
3 May, 1974 Clan MacLeod’s original bell presented to the Museum’s Director, Captain John Lovell by Mrs Mary Huntley.
1 June, 1974 Lady Hopetoun re-commissioned by the Governor’s wife, Lady Cutler.
July, 1974 The Federal Government granted $40,000 towards restoration of James Craig.
August, 1974 An Art Union of 2,000 tickets established to raise funds for the James Craig restoration.
October, 1974 Art Union organisers decided to double the odds by halving the price of tickets to $50. The prizes to remain the same – a Rolls Royce and a Hood 23 Yacht and dinghy.
November, 1974 Famous marine artist Oswald Brett painted James Craig in memory of his former instructor John Alcott, and donated painting to Museum.
March, 1975 Museum acquired “beautiful 24ft rowing skiff, built by Barry Ward in Neutral Bay in 1895 for Walker Estate on Parramatta River and later owned by J R McQueen of the Balmain Rowing Club“.
April, 1975 $10,000 each for restoration of James Craig and John Oxley received from Federal Government.
June, 1975 The Art Union (Rolls Royce first prize) was drawn on 30 June. The winner was RAN cook, Richard Mailo. The Art Union netted $32,009.49. The second Art Union also for a Rolls and ten colour TV sets, launched with 4000 tickets @ $25 each.
May, 1976 Preliminary negotiations entered into with DJs Properties Ltd for occupancy of part of Birkenhead project.Restoration Manager, John Davis appointed.
6 August, 1976 Two Art Unions drawn. Rolls won by Mr & Mrs Spackman of Yass and Porsche/mink coat by Mr Box of Victoria. Profit expected to be approximately $58,000.
April, 1977 Museum’s name changed to Sydney Cove Waterfront Museum Ltd.Ray Thorsell appointed full time restoration Manager.
July, 1977 DJ”s Properties received approval from Council and NSW Government for development of Birkenhead Point and plan to have complex open by October 1978.The Museum acquired, on permanent loan, from the P&O and Shaw Savill companies, models of the OrianaCathaySouthern Cross and Northern Star.
September, 1977 Art Unions Nos. 10 (Range Rover), 11 (three Golfs) and 12 (Porsche) draws deferred due to postal strike.
December, 1977 Edna Stephenson joined staff as full time Curator.Museum membership reached 400.
March, 1978 Current Art Unions – No. 13 (BMW 528CA) and No. 14 (Jaguar XJS).
April, 1978 Advice received from DJs Properties that Birkenhead development will not be ready until March, 1979.
July, 1978 Museum’s first Executive Director, Captain John Lovell retired at the end of June.Layout and general specifications for the Museum’s display floors, workshops, administration areas submitted to Drummoyne Council for approval.Limited edition prints of James Craig (signed by artist Oswald Brett) made available for public sale $125 each. Prints made possible by loan from Unilever Australia.
October, 1978 Roderick W Glassford appointed Executive Director.History of James Craig booklet published by Jeff Toghill (price $3).
January, 1979 New counter stern fabricated and fitted to Waratah.
May, 1979 Art Union No. 18 launched (Lamborghini valued at $50,000) and AU No. 19 (Porsche 911SC valued at $41,000).Waratah re-commissioned.
21 January, 1980 Final agreement reached with DJs Properties on terms of lease of Birkenhead property.
7 August, 1980 Museum and John Oxley re-located to Birkenhead Point.
7 January, 1981 James Craig departed Hobart under tow for Sydney
18 January, 1981 James Craig arrived in Sydney.
July, 1981 Museum offered and accepted, the hull of the speedboat Kookaburra. Donor Clive Caporn, who had purchased it from the original owner, Joyce Brothers.
15 July, 1981 Waratah successfully carried out steaming trials after a long period of restoration.
November, 1981 Member, Ron Griffiths, donated a fully marinised Chrysler Imperial straight eight engine for Kookaburra, in good running order with a spare short motor.Protex, a 41ft ferry, built 1901 with 2 cylinder diesel engine donated by Mr Craig Stannard.
January, 1982 Since Museum opened at Birkenhead Point, more than $40,000 paid in entry fees.
March, 1982 Museum membership over 800.
May, 1982 Museum won a Certificate of Merit in Annual Museum of the Year Competition.
11 May, 1982 Death of Museum’s first full time Curator, Edna Stephenson
5 July, 1982 Mr Harlan Hall commenced duty as Museum Manager.
July, 1982 The Board accepted recommendations that the 1832 Sydney flag be adopted as the Museum’s official house flag.The Board announced the appointment of Mr Barry Groom as full time Curator.
March, 1983 Curator advised that members were being sought to undertake training to form an oral history group.
May, 1983 Oswald Brett, noted marine artist of New York, gave permission for the production of 300 prints of his painting of James Craig. Each print to be numbered and personally signed by the artist. Price $125 each.
July, 1983 For second successive year Museum awarded a Certificate of Merit in the Annual Museum of the Year Awards.Resident marine model maker, Mr G. Scardinale commenced setting up his work area in the Museum.Mr Mori Flapan commenced duty as full time ship conservator for James Craig.Oral History Group established under guidance of Mrs Margaret Reid.Tender for construction of pontoon dock let.
December, 1983 New quarterly magazine Australian Sea Heritage to be produced – first issue February 1984.
February, 1984 NSW Division of Cultural Activities Grant $33,500 to Museum to help finance salaries for Manager, Curator & Ship Conservator.
April, 1984 Ship Ahoy 84′ held at Birkenhead Point.
May, 1984 James Craig restoration grant stage II commenced with the assistance of Community Employment Program (CEP).
1 July, 1984 Curator Barry Groom appointed Deputy Manager/Curator.
4 May, 1984 Cyril L Hume died. Large maritime collection donated.
25 July, 1984 Sir William Northam handed over Olympic gold medal racing yacht Barranjoey.Museum membership now over 1000 strong.
20 September 1984 James Craig towed to restoration berth Rozelle Bay
13 December 1984 Bicentennial grant of $1.5 million towards James Craig restoration.
13/14 April, 1985 Ship Ahoy 85‘ held at Birkenhead Point.Anonymous visitor donated $50,000 to advance restoration of John Oxley.
Autumn, 1985 Instituted corporate membership at $100 per year.
2 April, 1985 Sydney Cove Waterfront Museum Ltd name changed to the Sydney Maritime Museum Ltd and the Australian Maritime Museum Trust formed. All vessels, artefacts, etc of the Sydney Maritime Museum collection come under the ownership of the Trust.
Winter, 1985 National Australia Bank sponsored major exhibition on James Craig restoration.Museum’s Dock under construction by Citra Constructions Ltd designed by member Mori Flapan.
Spring, 1985 David Hill joined Museum as Project Manager.
20 September, 1985 Sea Heritage Dock built by Citra Constructions Ltd. Launched on Parramatta River.
22 October, 1985 James Craig placed on Sea Heritage Dock and on 25 October towed to Rozelle Bay.
October, 1985 Member Basil Catterns founding Editor of Australian Sea Heritage retires. New Editor Ross Gillert.Department of Corrective Services agreed to assist restoration of James Craig with detainees as part of Workforce.Mr Gordon Ingate donated Gretel II – America’s Cup participant 1970 & 1977.
Spring, 1986 James Craig moved to No. 9 Pyrmont for Sydney International Boat Show. In October moved to No. 9 Woolloomooloo for RAN 75th Anniversary celebrations.
Summer, 1986 ANI donated $300,000 over three years to the restoration of James Craig.
26 February, 1986 Sydney Harbour ferry Kanangra donated by the NSW Government plus a cheque for $75,000.
January, 1987 Instituted volunteer hours award system of badges for hours worked.
October, 1987 The Albert family gifted the 1903 (gentlemen’s) schooner Boomerang to the Museum.
Autumn, 1988 Museum signed lease for Sydney Seaport.
15 January, 1988 James Craig moved to new home Port Darling Harbour followed by Kanangra and other heritage vessels.
21 January, 1988 Sydney Seaport officially opened.
Winter, 1988 Mr Richard Morgan appointed new General Manager.
25-28 September, 1988 Sydney Maritime Museum host to first Australian conference of theInternational Congress of Maritime Museums – 67 delegates from 13 countries.
Summer, 1988 New exhibition area on Kanangra.New Editor Australian Sea Heritage – Peter Plowman.
December, 1989 Waratah and Gretel II visited Newcastle for one week and returned to Sydney 4/12/1989.SMM conferred Honorary Life Membership on Captain John Wayling.
February, 1990 The Stannard family gifted the workboat and 1955 passenger launch Berrima to the Museum.
Spring, 1990 The Maritime Society founded and proved financially successful.
Summer, 1990 Sydney Maritime Museum commemorates the first 25 years.
July, 1991 General Manager Mr Richard Morgan resigned – granted Life Membership. Succeeded by Mr Desmond Kennard.
October, 1991 Sydney Maritime Museum signed an agreement with the Australian National Maritime Museum to loan vessels Lady HopetounWaratahBoomerang and Gretel II for one year for display but still available for charters etc.Mr Brian Northam completed two years as President – Colin Pursehouse President.
October to April 1992 Waratah steamed to RAN College Jervis Bay to pick up the new figurehead for James Craig sculpted by Denis Adams OAM.
May, 1992 A special committee established to manage the large collection of Museum’s heritage boats.
22 May, 1992 His Excellency Rear Admiral Peter Sinclair OA Governor of NSW recommissioned the 90 year old flagship of the Museum fleet, the steam launch Lady Hopetoun.
1992 The Museum acquired the formr Royal Australian Navy workboat and 1943 motor launch Harman.
Winter, 1993 Australian Sea Heritage new Editor Graeme Andrews.
16 April, 1993 Sydney Maritime Museum’s oral history officially transferred to State Library of NSW’s research section of State Library’s Mitchell Wing. Over the past 10 years Margaret Reid, Museum Member guided and put together this collection.
March/April, 1993 Sydney Mariner newsletter instituted.Special committee formed to manage small vessels under 35ft, currently 50 boats.
19 May, 1993 Board of Governors made mission statement on official aims and objectives for the operation of Sydney Maritime Museum.
August, 1993 CEO Desmond Kennard resigned. John Smith appointed CEO.
25 May, 1994 A formal agreement signed by the Sydney Maritime Museum and Board of Governors marking the final stage in the restoration of James Craig.
21 June, 1994 A memorandum of understanding between Australian National Maritime Museum and the Sydney Maritime Museum formally signed. Sydney Maritime Museum to cease to publicly use the name ‘Sydney Maritime Museum’.
14 July, 1994 Plaque dedicated to Cape Hornerd unveiled on James Craig by the Governor of NSW Vice Admiral Peter Sinclair.
10-11 November, 1994 Sydney Maritime Museum moved its berth at Darling Harbour to its workshops at Rozelle Bay and its administrative office to 6 Mansfield Street Rozelle.
1 December, 1994 Phil Renouf installed as President of Sydney Maritime Museum.
Spring, 1995 Sydney Maritime Museum celebrates its 30th anniversary with Dinner.
November, 1995 Active and founding member (1930-95) of Sydney Maritime Museum David Austin Phippard OAM BA LLB passed away.
Summer, 1995 ‘Fish & Ships’ guided tours commenced.
April, 1995 The Museum’s replica Tom Thumb II took part in re-enactment of Bass & Flinders voyage from Port Jackson to Lake Illawarra and back.
July, 1996 The National Australia Bank large loan finally extinguished.Sydney Maritime Museum listed on internet.
October, 1996 Sir Alexis Albert who donated Boomerang passed away.
17 February, 1997 James Craig on Museum’s Sea Heritage Dock towed to Garden Island’s Captain Cook graving dock.
23 February, 1997 James Craig refloated and John Oxley placed on Sea Heritage Dock and towed back to Rozelle.Agreed to co-locate our Mansfield Street activities to No.7 Pyrmont with the Australian National Maritime Museum.
Summer, 1998 For the third time the Museum’s name has been changed and is now to be known as ‘Sydney Heritage Fleet’.
Winter, 1998 ‘Lifeboat Appeal’ raised over $100,000.
Spring, 1998 Sydney Heritage Fleet’s seven restored vessels held special ‘Steam Past’.
Summer, 1998 Entered Cyberspace at www.seaheritage.asn.au
Autumn, 1999 Steam tug Waratah voyage to Newcastle to celebrate 200th anniversary of the Port of Newcastle.
Winter, 1999 Channel 7 Sunday evening programme “The World Around Us’ featuring Sydney Harbour, starred the Sydney Heritage Fleet.
15 July, 1999 Sydney Heritage Fleet moved into the newly built home base at Wharf 7 Pyrmont (The National Maritime Museum’s additional building).
5 October, 1999 Lighthouse fundraising dinner at NSW’s Parliament House.
8 October, 1999 Official opening Wharf 7 Pyrmont.
11 October, 1999 James Craig towed to Captain Cook Graving Dock for installation of propellers.
10 May, 2000 Lady Hopetoun for only the second time in her 98 years of service proceeded outside Sydney Heads to Pittwater for three and a half weeks of booked cruises in the Hawkesbury River as far upstream as Wiseman’s Ferry. Also took part in the fortieth annual Wiseman’s Ferry declared speed navigation trial between Wiseman’s and Newport.
July, 2000 Motor launch Protex operated with cruises on Lake Macquarie.
12 November, 2000 James Craig was formally re-commissioned and tributes paid to hundreds of volunteers, sponsors and staff.
3 Decembe,r 2000 James Craig goes to sea with full compliment of crew and”paying” tourists to evaluate crew coordination and customerservice.Accompanied back down the harbour by all eight of the otherfully restored SHF museum vessels.
4 December, 2000 James Craig opens to the public.
June, 2001 Commenced restoration John Oxley.
23 June, 2001 James Craig visits Newcastle to commemorate her 1901 “Federation” voyage into Australian waters.
Summer, 2001 Barque James Craig visits Twofold Bay to take part in in the Whale Festival and attend the International Convention of Maritime Museums, our Chairman being President
2 April, 2002 SMM CEO John Smith resigns and replaced by John Gilham.
8 April, 2002 President Phil Renouf suddenly died, replaced by Chris Stannard.
17 August, 2003 Museum introduces the Historic Harbour Tours.
23 October,2003 Inaugural Phil Renouf Memorial Lecture held at A.N.M.M.   “Women in Maritime History”, by Mrs Shirley Sinclair.
 February 2005  Visit to Hobart for Australian Wooden Boat Festival by James Craig.
 2008  Volunteers of the Fleet recorded 107,382 hours f volunteer effort.
 June 2010  Board signs a lease for vacant land at bank Street, Pyrmont to enable relocation of the Fleet’s operational vessels.
 December 2011 50 foot Harbour Tugs Bronzewing and Currawong acquired, on loan, from the RAN.
 2012  Installation of some of the Fleet’s most significant small craft in the new Wharf 7 foyer exhibit area.
 November 2012  Update on John Oxley – The last hull plate below the main deck level was replaced after some 25,000 rivets had been placed on 140 plates.
 October 2013  International Fleet Review undertaken with two day charter of Lady Hopetoun by Royal Australian Navy. The vessel had been present in 1913 and, one hundred years later, was honoured with a place in the column of reviewing ships – with the added privilege of flying the white ensign.
 2015  50th Anniversary of the Sydney Heritage Fleet.
 2016  Initial proposal for a Maritime Heritage Precinct in Pyrmont Bay aired  and likely to become a possibility.