Launched in 1912, Kanangra is a big steel hulled ferry designed to carry more than 1,000 passengers and she was Sydney Ferries’ 44th vessel and her construction had five watertight bulkheads, electric light throughout and auxiliaries included a Rogers horizontal steam steering engine in each wheelhouse. She is a propeller driven double ended vessel. On trials, Kanangra attained a speed of nearly 13.5 knots. Kanangra’s last day in revenue service as a steamer brought Cockatoo Island workers back to Circular Quay in May 1959. Her triple expansion steam engine was replaced by an 8-cylinder Crossley diesel engine and she was commissioned as a motor ship.