Heritage Marine Engines
Sydney’s largest collection of heritage marine engines
One of the important displays being maintained by the Sydney Heritage Fleet is the extensive collection of Heritage Engines. Consisting of over 65 engines, it is one of the largest collections of its kind in Australia. In addition, there are another 60 engines and items of machinery in the Fleet’s floating vessels.
Fleet volunteers continue a restoration programme, returning many of the engines to their original condition, and with selected engines being used as working displays.
The collection includes a variety of steam, petrol and diesel driven engines that were manufactured in Australia and overseas.
The engines range from the very small US-manufactured Evinrude twin cylinder two-stroke inboard that was used to power the sole means of transport of a Dora Creek family in the 1920s; to the large three-cylinder diesel (petrol start) Kelvin engine built in Scotland in about 1940 and used in the Cronulla to Bundeena ferry.
Recently restored is a rare large Beecraft single cylinder four-stroke petrol engine which was manufactured at Mosman, Sydney in 1920.
Working engines also include a large Frisco Standard, open crankcase, single cylinder, four-stroke petrol engine, built in the USA in about 1915.
Some of the the Marine Heritage Engine collection is on view to the public by appointment in the Foyer of Wharf 7, Pyrmont where the offices of the Sydney Heritage Fleet are located.