Launched at Mort’s Dock and Engineering Company, Woolwich yard, 14th Aug. 1912, Kanangra was only the second steel hulled ferry built and launched in Sydney.

.

On Dec. 18, 1911, Sydney Ferries had  inaugurated a new service to Cremorne Point. Kanangra serviced the Mosman / Cremorne and Cockatoo Island runs for more then 70 years. A major overhaul in 1951 extended her working life by another 30 years. Kanangra resumed service in 1953. Her last trip as a steamer was on 1 May 1959 after the 5:35 Circular Quay / Mosman / Cremorne run when she was converted to diesel.

.

Kanangra was retired from service in 1985 and presented to the Sydney Maritime Museum in 1987.

.

The Kanangra Restoration Committee was established in 2001.  An urgent program of hull stabilisation has been is underway – This will culminate in a docking planned for April 2022 where Kanangra will be safely docked onto our work barge.

.

Kanangra was included in the Australian Register of Historic Vessels in 2009.