Photo of Boomerang in her youth, under sail

Boomerang in her youth, under sail

Boomerang, originally named Bona, was built in 1903 for Mr C Wallace, by Holmes of Lavender Bay, Sydney. She was designed by the noted naval architect Walter Reeks who also designed ferries for the Balmain Ferry Company.

In 1915 she was sold to Mr H B Howard-Smith, from whom Mr Charles Lloyd-Jones purchased her in 1927. In 1929 Mr Frank Albert acquired her and he was owner until the Albert family presented her to the Sydney Heritage Fleet in October 1987.

Boomerang is built of hardwood frames, with kauri decks and deck beams and is copper fastened throughout. In 1927 she was described as Australia’s largest yacht. However, she has not carried sail since the early 1930s and is now driven under engine power only.

The yacht has comfortable accommodation, with the saloon and owner’s cabin being particularly attractive. In her many years Boomerang has carried some illustrious guests and vice-regal parties.

Under her various owners, Boomerang has cruised considerably in Australian waters and has been a familiar sight on Sydney Harbour for 100 years.

The Fleet takes the opportunity of sailing Boomerang in public events held on Sydney Harbour in order to continue to display the vessel to enthusiastic spectators.